Roxanne Chan of Albany, Calif., won third place in our Fall 2007 “Harvest Season Favorites” contest with this recipe featuring a cranberry vinaigrette dressing.
- 1/4 cup liquid hickory smoke
- 1-1/2 pounds Yukon Gold or other thin-skinned potatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon frozen cranberry juice, thawed
- 1 tablespoon mint, snipped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon wasabi paste*
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon red onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon parsley, snipped
- 1 bag mixed greens
- 1/4 cup smoked almonds, chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Scrub potatoes and slice in half lengthwise. Place liquid smoke in a large baking dish fitted with a rack. Place potato halves cut side down on the rack. Cover the dish and bake for 45 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Uncover; cool and then chill.
Place the cranberries, olive oil, red wine vinegar, cranberry juice, mint, garlic, wasabi paste, honey and salt in a blender and blend until smooth. Stir in the onion and parsley. Cover and chill.
At serving time, place the mixed greens on a platter. Slice the potatoes and arrange attractively on top. Drizzle the cranberry vinaigrette over all and garnish with the smoked almonds.
*Wasabi is also known as Japanese horseradish.