Elizebeth Bonz of Jenison, Mich., placed third in our February 2007 “Berry Special Treats” contest with this recipe for Orange Glazed Cranberry Cookies.
- 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 large egg
- 2-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2-1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped*
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3 to 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 cup walnuts or pecans, finely chopped*
* Nuts are optional
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl, cream the margarine, sugar and brown sugar until smooth and the sugars have dissolved. Beat in the egg, orange zest and orange juice.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Gradually add to the creamed mixture. Then stir in the cranberries and nuts, combining until evenly distributed.
Drop cookie dough by rounded spoonsfuls onto ungreased foil-lined cookie sheets, spacing dough 2 inches apart. Bake 12 to 14 minutes, or until edges are golden. Remove from oven and allow to set one minute before removing to wire racks to cool.
To make the glaze, mix the ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. Additional powered sugar may be needed to achieve the right consistency. Once cookies are cooled, spoon or drizzle glaze over the tops and sprinkle with chopped nuts (if desired).
“For a little flair, I drizzle the glaze onto the cookies by putting the glaze into a small resealable plastic bag, cutting one corner off and squeezing the glaze onto the cookies,” Elizebeth said.