This recipe was modified from one that appeared in the September/October 2002 issue of Country Woman magazine.
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/2 cup butter (no substitutes), divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 package (10 to 12 ounces) vanilla or white chips
- 1 7-ounce jar marshmallow cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
Line an 8-inch square pan with foil. Grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter; set aside.
In a heavy saucepan, bring sugar, sour cream and remaining butter to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 234º F.* (soft-ball stage), about 15 minutes.
Remove from heat. Stir in chips, marshmallow cream and vanilla until smooth. Fold in walnuts and cranberries. Pour into prepared pan. Let stand a room temperature. When cool, lift fudge out of pan and remove foil. Cut into squares. Refrigerate in an airtight container.
Yield: 2 pounds.
*We recommend you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212º F. Adjust your recipe up or down based on your test.