Congratulations to Jeanette Harmel of Tomah. Her recipe for Cranberry Layer Cake was chosen as the Fall 2005 winner of our cranberry recipe contest. For submitting her recipe, she received a copy of the “Wisconsin Cranberry Growers’ Favorite Recipes” cookbook.
- 1 18.25-ounce package white cake mix
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, water, vegetable oil and eggs, and mix well. Stir in the orange peel, cranberries and walnuts.
Pour into two greased 9-inch round baking pans. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted near middle comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
In a medium mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and orange peel until blended. Gradually beat in powdered sugar. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Garnish with nuts sprinkled over the top.